Health and Wellbeing Coach
To support patients to improve their physical and mental health, based on what matters to them, through coaching and motivating people to identify their needs and set their own goals, and through providing access to education and peer support.
Responsible to: IPC Service Manager
Location: Various across Coastal West Sussex
Salary: £24,450-29,330 FTE
Equivalent to Agenda for Change Band 5
Service area: PCN Staffin
Health and Wellbeing Coaches manage and prioritise a caseload, according to the needs, priorities and support required by individuals in the caseload. They identify when a person’s needs are beyond the scope of the health and wellbeing coach role and refer them back to other health professionals or organisations. Health and Wellbeing Coaches may work with people by phone, by video conference, or face-to-face. Health and Wellbeing Coaches are a key part of the Primary Care Network (PCN) multidisciplinary team. They often work alongside Social Prescribing Link Workers and Care Coordinators to provide an all-encompassing approach to personalised care and promote and embed the personalised care approach across Primary Care Network(s).
Each IPC Health and Wellbeing Coach will work for one Primary Care Network (group of GP practices) in Coastal West Sussex.
The precise role of each Health and Wellbeing Coach will vary slightly depending upon which Primary Care Network the post-holder works for but will be made up of many of the following:
- Provide one-to-one and group health coaching support for people with one or more long-term conditions, based on what is important to them, with the aim of: improving people’s knowledge, skills, confidence in managing their condition/s, empowering people to manage their own health and improve their health outcomes, and support them in making changes in their health related behaviour
- Manage and prioritise a caseload, in accordance with the needs, priorities and support required by individuals in the caseload. It is vital that you have a strong awareness and understanding of when it is appropriate or necessary to refer people back to other health professionals/agencies, when what the person needs is beyond the scope of the health and wellbeing coach role e.g. when there is a mental health need requiring the patient to be referred to an appropriately qualified practitioner.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary multi-agency team to promote health coaching and to be ambassadors for Personalised Care and Supported Self-Management, modelling the coaching approach in their work.
- Ensure that GPs, practice nurses, practice pharmacists and other members of the primary care team understand the Health and Wellbeing Coach role, how to refer to them, and which patients may particularly benefit from health coaching.
- Support local health, social care and voluntary sector professionals to make appropriate referrals to the service. Promote and raise awareness of the health coaching service particularly to groups and communities that experience barriers to access.
- Attend and contribute to team, practice, and PCN meetings and events as required by the service.
- Work flexibly, adapting to the needs of the service and client group while maintaining the integrity of the role.
- Participate in regular health coaching supervision and continual learning. This may include, but is not limited to, any or all the following:
- Regular contact with service supervisor
- Refresher training sessions
- Buddying with peers
The above list of duties is not exhaustive and may be subject to change as deemed necessary.
|Essential Requirements||Desirable Requirements|
|Experience of using coaching approaches/frameworks and models or other helping strategies e.g. Motivational Interviewing||Coaching/ counselling qualification/ experience or other relevant qualification/experience|
|An understanding of the biopsychosocial model of health and the social determinants of health.||Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team|
|Ability to work with minimal supervision, acting decisively and ask for help when needed.||Experience of working in a GP practice|
|Starts with what is working well and takes an asset-based approach (able to work from strengths) in all their interactions with people, colleagues and the communities we serve||Experience using SystmOne|
|Competency in history taking and full physical assessment|
|Ability to order and interpret clinical investigations|
|Strong communication skills|
|Flexible approach to work|
|Good time management skills|
|Committed to ongoing personal and professional development|
To view current vacancies click here
If we do not have any current vacancies for this role, but you would like to express an interest in future vacancies, please contact us using our secure online form
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.